Health Eco Assessment 2
This assessment task requires short answers to the following questions.
Suppose that a new vaccine has become available for the invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) caused by Neisseria Meningitidis group B strains. You have been asked to design an economic evaluation to assess the costs and effects of the new vaccine (compared with no vaccination) to inform public funding decisions.
- Taking a healthcare system perspective, identify the range of important health care resources (cost categories and cost items) that you may include in your evaluation
- What additional resources would need to be considered if you were requested to perform the evaluation from a societal perspective?
To determine the optimal strategy for prostate cancer screening for a fully government-funded program, an economic model was developed to estimate the costs and outcomes of two potential screening programs to measure prostate specific antigen (PSA) in comparison to a “no screening program” option. The model followed a cohort over a fifty-year time horizon. The results were: No screening
- Total costs: $15 million
- Total life-years: 10,000
Program A (Screening men aged 50-75 every 5 years)
- Total costs: $45 million
- Total life-years: 25,000
Program B (Screening men aged 40-75 every 2 years)
- Total costs: $85 million
- Total life-years: 30,000
- Identify the 7 key building blocks/parameters associated with economic evaluation and describe these in the context of the task.
- Complete the following table:
|Strategy||Cost ($)||Life-years||Incremental costs ($)||Incremental life- years gained (LYG)||Incremental $ per LYG ($)|
- What type of economic evaluation is this?
- Briefly comment on how the results should be interpreted
Is it possible for a new drug to be less clinically effective than its comparator but, at the same time, be cost-effective? With reference to the cost-effectiveness plane, briefly explain why or why not.
Note: All assignments must be in a Microsoft Word file and are to be submitted electronically by 5:00pm on the scheduled date.