Actually my subject is city planning in New South Wales, Australia.
The aim of this assignment is to reinforce class discussion on professional ethics, and to require you to explore the activities, reports and recommendations of the Independent Commission Against Corruption (the ICAC).
There are three tasks (of equal weight)
1. What is ‘corrupt conduct’ and how does it differ from ‘professional misconduct’ and other forms of unethical behavior? Provide an example of unethical behavior that may result from the following activities:
– Merit assessment of DAs (Development Assessment), by staff and councillors
– Misuse of information (e.g. “insider trading”)
– Engagement and use of consultants.
Examples should be drawn from the ICAC.
2. What can the organizations (public and private) that we work for do to protect staff? Outline the action that you can take, as a individual, to anticipate and avoid unethical behavior?
3. What is meant by the term ‘public interest’? Should City Planners in private practice be bound to consider this (in advising their private sector clients)? Should the same set of rules that apply to those in public office also apply to private practitioners?
The ICAC website provides a plethora of publication and other resources, including the following (available at https://www.icac.nsw.gov.au/, publications and resource page):
ICAC (Sept. 2013) “Investigation into Allegations of Corrupt in the Provision of Security Products and Services by Suppliers, Installers and Consultants”.
ICAC (February 2012) “Anti-corruption safeguards and the NSW Planning System”.
ICAC (Sept. 2007) “Corruption risks in NSW development approval processes-position paper”.
ICAC (April 2010) “Development Assessment Internal Audit Tool”.
ICAC (Dec. 2009) “Identifying and managing Conflict of Interest in the Public Sector”.
ICAC (2008) “Report on investigation into corruption allegations affecting Wollongong City Council” (Operation Atlas).
“Planning, Policy and Public Interest: Planning Regimes and Planners’ Ethics and Practices”.
“What is an Ethical Culture? Key Issues to Consider in Building an Ethical Organisation – Summary Report”.
“Ethics: the key to good management”.
The question first appeared on Write My Essay