Examine post traumatic growth experiences of adult survivors of cancer and childhood trauma. It was only in the 4th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV: American Psychiatric Association, 2000) that cancer was added.
• Provide a brief overview of the DSM-5 criteria for PTSD.
• Critically review and analyse the experience of having cancer in the light of these
criteria. Does it fit the PTSD criteria? Are there any characteristics unique to the
cancer PTSD diagnosis?
• Critically review and analyse the adult symptoms of having experienced childhood
trauma in the light of these criteria. Does this fit the PTSD criteria? Are there any
characteristics unique to the childhood trauma PTSD diagnosis?
• Give reasons why (or why not) they fit the criteria and compare the two for
Swinburne University of Technology PSY30012 Psychology of Trauma,
• Give an overview of post traumatic growth (PTG), then, in particular, describe the
• Compare and contrast posttraumatic growth experiences for both cancer survivors
and childhood trauma survivors according to the OVT.
• Critically analyse what factors are likely to foster or hinder PTG in both groups of
• Include in your discussion the strengths and weaknesses of the research you have