Popular Culture and Functionalism/Gender and Sexuality
1. How does functionalism explain our obsession with professional and collegiate athletics, celebrity magazines and other forms of entertainment? What are some of the “rituals” of solidarity and social cohesion? Post one item of relevant supplemental material to illustrate this approach.
2. What are some of the stereotypical popular culture representations of men and women/ sexuality? What are some of the ways in which stereotyping gender (whether men or women) is harmful? Post one item of relevant supplemental material.
The Week 2 Forum meets the following course objectives:
· Describe examples of the different types of norms operative in popular culture, and how these are related to the process of social control.
· Identify the research methods used to create knowledge about popular culture.
· Apply key cultural theories and analytical dimensions for examining popular culture.
· Explain how various elements of popular culture inform or reflect our attitudes, behavior, and society and why the popular culture becomes popular.
· Illustrate diversity in popular culture and concepts of multiculturalism, ethnocentrism, and cultural relativism with reference to key stratifying factors such as gender, race, ethnicity, class, age, region and sexuality.
· Describe the cultural and social significance of popular culture in shaping the larger contemporary American society.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT