For this Discussion Board, you will write a dialogue between yourself and an imaginary Socrates. You will debate the question of free will versus determinism. Remember that the Socratic Method involves asking a series of questions to clarify key words and ideas. In your dialogue, the imaginary Socrates should be asking clarifying questions, and you will be answering them. Please refer to the excerpt from Plato’s Meno as an example (below) to model your dialogue. This post should be 3–4 paragraphs.
Your post should be a dialogue, which addresses the following questions, using the Socratic Method:
- What is the definition of determinism?
- What is the definition of free will?
- Do you agree that every event has an explanatory cause?
- How do you define event?
- How do you define explanatory cause?
- Do you agree that every human choice or event has an explanatory cause?
- How do you define human choice? How do you define human event? Are they different?
- Do you agree that to have an explanatory cause is to not be free?
- How do you define free?
- Do you think that free will and determinism can coexist in any way?
- Is it possible to have external determinism and internal free will?
To have cohesion and reach solid conclusions, your imaginary Socrates will probably ask you more questions than the ones listed above. Be sure to include all of the above ideas in your dialogue.
Review Checklist before submitting post:
Your dialogue should also include all of the following:
- Use the Socratic Method to form all conclusions (this will be achieved by the question and answer dialogue between you and the imaginary Socrates).
- Clear and concise language, using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Correct definitions of free will and determinism
- Logical explanations and valid reasoning for each conclusion
- Clear answers to each question with a definite stance or position
- You must reach a conclusive answer to each question
- Click here to read and excerpt from Plato’s Meno (Soccio, 1995).
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
This assignment will also be assessed using additional criteria provided here.
The post Plato’s Meno appeared first on Tiptop Essays.