RESEARCH Exercise (1,000 Words)
40% A1 Due BEFORE Friday 08 April, 2016, 5:00 PM
Select one of the following recent crime issues and answer the related question.
1. Alcoholrelated violence and one-punch killings
• How can public debate and political action relating to these offences be seen as related to neoliberal ideology? Discuss in relation to concepts of risk and responsibilisation.
2. International people smuggling
• How can this issue be seen as related to processes of globalisation? Discuss in relation to permeability of national borders and contemporary anxieties about national identity.
References / Readings:
• Please note that for this assignment you are required to cite at least 6 academic references. Note: Wikipedia, lecture notes and media articles are NOT academic references. If you do use media articles, these will be considered in addition to your required references.
• Students are strongly encouraged to extend their research to additional readings. Please visit the library website for literacy resources.
• Assessment guidance will be provided in tutorials.
Assignment needs to;
1. Ability to address essay question
2. Clarity and sophistication of argument
3. Evidence of having read and understood relevant literature
4. Evidence of critical thinking and engagement with theory
5. Ability to write clearly and reference appropriately
• Apply a critical understanding of the recent perspectives in criminology to related debates about power and exclusion;
• Demonstrate knowledge of white collar, corporate/transnational, state crime and crimes against nature/the environment;
Style & Presentation – Some Dos and Don’ts
1. ESSAY PREPARATIONS AND RESEARCH:
• You need to relate your essay to the specific topic provided in this Guide. You cannot create your own topic. It is essential that you read the instructions for your assignment.
• You are expected to have basic knowledge about how to do academic research (both online and in the Library). If you would like help, or are unsure about how to research academic material, please ask either your unit coordinator or tutor for help. If you do require help, please ensure that you that approach your teaching staff well before the assignment due date.
• Wikipedia is not an academic source!
• Make sure you follow the Harvard referencing style guide from the UWS Library website.
• Preparation is key to good writing. The more time you spend mapping out your assignment, the more likely it is that you will produce a coherent and convincing argument.
2. ESSAY STRUCTURE, CONTENT AND PRESENTATION:
• Your essay should be 1.5 or double spaced.
• Your assignment should be sufficiently titled so as to indicate the question you have selected.
• Your reference list must be included at the end of your essay. Failure to include a reference list can result in an automatic failure and can constitute serious academic misconduct.
• Avoid overly long sentences and. Simple is better.
3. BEFORE SUBMISSION:
• You need to read your essay prior to submission. If it doesn’t make sense to you, it won’t make sense to your marker either.
• RUN A SPELLING AND GRAMMAR CHECK.
• Make sure all your references are fully and properly acknowledged (including page numbers for direct quotations).
1. Week 1: Introduction to Perspectives in Criminology
• Garland, D 2001, ‘The new culture of crime control’, in The culture of control: crime and social order in contemporary society, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 167-92.
• Garland, D & Sparks, R 2000, ‘Criminology, social theory and the challenge of our times’, in Criminology and social theory, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 1-22.
2. Week 2: Globalisation and the Changing Nature of Crime
• Aas, F 2007, ‘Crime, fear and social exclusion in the global village’, in Globalization and crime, Sage, London, pp. 1-26.
• Gillespie, W 2006, ‘Capitalist world-economy, globalization, and violence: implications for criminology and social justice’, International Criminal Justice Review, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 20-44.
3. Week 3: Neoliberalism, Responsibilisation and Shifting Forms of Crime Prevention
• Muncie, J 2005, ‘The globalization of crime control – the case of youth and juvenile justice: neo-liberalism, policy convergence and international conventions’, Theoretical Criminology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35-64.
• O’Malley, P 2008, ‘Neo-liberalism and risk in criminology’, in T Anthony & C Cunneen (eds), The critical criminology companion, Hawkins Press, Sydney, pp. 55-67.
4. Week 4: Sovereignty, Transnational Crime and the Impact of its Counter-measures
• McCulloch, J 2007, ‘Transnational crime as productive fiction’, Social Justice, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 19-32.
• Pickering, S 2004, ‘The production of sovereignty and the rise of transversal policing: people-smuggling and federal policing’, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 362-79.
5. Week 5: Law and Order Trends
• Brown, D & Hogg, R 1996, ‘Law and order commonsense’, Current Issues in Criminal Justice, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 175-91.
• Kraska, PB 2007, ‘Militarization and policing – its relevance to 21st century police’, Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 501-13.
6. Week 6: Corporate Crime and Crimes Against the Environment.
• Friedrichs, DO 2007, ‘White-collar crime in a postmodern, globalized world’, in H Pontell & G Geis (eds), International handbook of white-collar and corporate crime, Springer, New York, pp. 163-84.
• White, R 2005, ’Environmental crime in global context: exploring the theoretical and emprical complexities’, Current Issues in Criminal Justice, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 271-85
7. Week 7: Crime, Space and Social Exclusion
• Martin, G 2011, ‘Showcasing security: the politics of policing space at the 2007 Sydney APEC meeting’, Policing and Society, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 27-48.
• Young, J 1999, ‘From inclusive to exclusive society’, in The exclusive society: social exclusion, crime and difference in late modernity, Sage, London, pp. 1-30.
Place your order now for a similar paper and have exceptional work written by our team of experts to guarantee you A Results
Why Choose US
6+ years experience on custom writing
80% Return Client
Urgent 2 Hrs Delivery
Your Privacy Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Revisions