1. Demonstrate sound knowledge about the relationship between the impact of culture on organisational life.
2. Identify key areas of similarity and difference in HR practice between countries.
3. Link the choice of strategic international HR with international business strategy approaches.
4. Measure the impact and effectiveness of international assignments.
This assignment is an individual coursework that has 2 components:
This assignment requires you to write a report to develop a critical analysis to answer the following questions:
You are a Senior HRM at a large (Energy or Telecommunications) MNC (country X) that is planning to open a subsidiary in a country of your choice (Y). You have been asked to develop a critical report to the Company’s Board of Executives which addresses the following questions:
• What would you regard to be the essential features of a cross cultural training and development programme for a group of 20 female and male expatriates from the MNCs (country X) who will be taking up an international assignment in the subsidiary (country Y)?
• Also, the Board of Directors has asked you to advise them on the appropriate International recruitment strategy to determine the competencies to select a “Global leader” that will undertake a strategic role in the subsidiary (country Y). What competencies are essential for this international executive role?
To answer these questions you will be expected to demonstrate that you
a) Develop an analysis about the major political, economical, social with special emphasis on the institutional and cultural differences between the MNC (X) and the subsidiary (Y).
b) Critical evaluation of the relevant literature about the theoretical debate on Cross Cultural Management, IHRM and Employment Relation literature.
c) Identify and discuss the issues related to the design, content and delivery of cross cultural training for expatriates.
d) Develop a critical evaluation to explain the challenges of recruiting, training and development of “global leaders” in international and local contexts. Also, a critical understanding of the role of the global leader/manager.
e) Based on your discussion, draw conclusions and suggest recommendations regarding to a critical approach to IHRM in relation to training, development and global talent selection.
A ‘Personal Reflection’ which is your own reflection on the process of working in a multicultural group during the seminars and what you have learned.
a) Your reflection should be written in the first person (use me/I) and should be no more than 500 words in total. This is part of your overall 4,000 word count.
Criteria for Assessment
The report will be assessed out of 100 marks using the criteria on the pro-forma attached.
Basically, you will need to demonstrate the ability to:
• Write a clear Introduction and brief abstract which identifies the issues within the context of the assigned IHRM question and, from this to demonstrate a logical structure and layout for the paper (10 marks)
• Critically review the relevant literature and its implications for the aspect of IHRM discussed (30 marks)
• Critically analyse and discuss the pertinent issues, grounded in the literature, relevant to the assigned question (35 marks)
• Draw meaningful conclusions, provide appropriate recommendations, and reflective account of working in a multicultural team (15 marks)
• The assessment will follow a report structure. It will present the discussion in a clear, logical and coherent way, and correctly reference (Harvard Referencing System) all published material included in the paper (10 marks)
The question first appeared on Write My Essay