1. How do you feel about the book?
Had very little feeling about it____________
Disliked it ____________
Hated it _________________
2. Did you like the ending?
3. What other ending might you like to see?
4. What did the ending mean?
5. Why did the doctor pick Mexico to do his work and not the US?
6. Actually some drug companies have done small clinical trials (and in one case a LARGE ONE) in other countries (such as Mexico and African countries). Why would they choose to do that?
7. If the artificial uterus were to become available, what groups or individuals do you think might use it (list 5)?
8. As you already know an artificial uterus has already been developed. Why do you think this hasn’t been used with a human embryo?
9. In Germany, where surrogacy is illegal, a couple went to India to use a surrogate. Germany would not allow them visas for their twin babies because of the method used to grow gestate the twins. How could this be applied to the use of an artificial uterus?
10. Come up with a list of at least 5 scientific mistakes you found in the book.
11. Could the use of an artificial womb cause genetic malformations? Why or why not?
12. Remember Dr. Cecil Jacobson? why is his case similar to Dr Post?
13. How do you think Ross will feel once he finds out he is not the father of Pauline?
14. Throughout the book it is obvious Dr. Post wanted his experiment to be a secret, why?
15. What ONE line in the book sums up its theme?
16. The ethical questions: On pages 272-274 there were a number of ethical questions brought up by Ross as he was thinking. What do you think they mean?
a. He questions because the “womb” was artificial and not “natural”
b. Can you go back after a new technique is developed?
c. Should someone scream STOP?
d. Should Ross scream STOP?
e. If he pulled the plug on the equipment was this murder?
f. Why did he hesitate?
Now, do some research and find out what other artificial uteruses have been developed List them and where they have been created.
5. In the 1950s a movie was produced called “The Bad Seed” starring Patty McCormick. Research its plot and write 1/2 page discussing the connection with EMBRYO.
Option #2: someone elses opinion.
a. choose a person you know (a friend or family member)
b. choose a question and spend some time talking about it.
c. Have the person write a short paragraph of their opinion and your discussion.
d. Include their name, relationship to you and how you felt the conversation went and why you picked that person and that question.
POSSIBLE QUESTIONS (or you can make up your own)
a. How many times should a donor’s sperm be used?
b. Should recipients be allowed to pick the traits of the donors?
c. Should we pay donors for donation?
d. Who can donate sperm (college students, etc)?
e. Could a mortician (or a C.A.A. agent) retrieve sperm from a dead celebrity to create souvenir babies?
f. What to do with left over embryos (adoption, etc.)?
g. Should research be done on frozen embryos?
h. Should we destroy unclaimed frozen embryos?
i. Should the surrogate be considered a parent?
j. Should gay couples use surrogacy?
k. Should fertilizing of eggs with donor sperm and storing the embryos for future use be allowed?
l. Who should be the brokers for egg donors?
m. Should we use of the Internet to sell eggs and sperm?
n. If a donated egg is used, who is the mother?
o. Who should decide the fate of human embryos – courts, parents, or doctors?
p. will attitudes toward recreational sex change the evolution of humans?
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT