Children with special needs have been subjected to numerous stereotypes, assumptions, and generalizations over the years—the label “mentally retarded” being one of these. Review “The Evolving Definition of Mental Retardation/Intellectual Disabilities” (pp. 135–136) from your course textand consider the following:
- What you have learned about the use of labels
- The evolving definition of mental retardation/intellectual disabilities
- The current debate over both the definition and terminology associated with this category of special needs
Post the following:
- Whether you believe the term “mental retardation” should be changed to the term “intellectual disabilities,” and why.
- Any terms, stereotypes, myths, and/or generalizations that you have become aware of thus far in this course, and how your future work as an child development professional can help to dispel harmful misconceptions.