Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
Each student is to produce a 2800 word (+/- 10%) illustrated and fully referenced essay focused upon
the relation between their assigned concept and the selected piece of architecture.
The essay will be a piece of theoretical architectural experimentation/critique centered on two key elements:
1/ an assigned philosophical concept. The concepts are drawn from the content of the lecture series.
(MY ASSIGNED CONCEPT IS “BODY WITHOUT ORGANS” BY DELEUZE & GUATTARI)
2/ a selected piece of architecture (a building, an installation or a space).
The piece of architecture should be selected in consultation with your History/Theory tutor and should excite you. The piece of architecture may also provide a precedent study for your Architectural Design Studio course.
(MY SELECTED BUILDING IS “BARCELONA PAVILION” BY MIES VAN DER ROHE)
The conditions for the essays are as follows:
• The essay will carefully explore the relation between the concept and the piece of architecture.
• The essay will focus on critical analysis and interpretation, exploration and experimentation. Not description.
• The essay will be 2800 words long (+/- 10%). The word length does not include endnotes.
• The essay will be presented in A5 format.
• The essay will include a minimum of 4 original analytical images.
• The essay will be fully referenced.
• The referencing must conform with the 16th edition of The Chicago Manual of Style, endnote system: