please follow directions on attachment,READ the following:
• Abood, S. (2007). Influencing health care in the legislative arena. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 12(1), 12 pp.
Article is available as FULLTEXT in CINAHL OR CLICK on the following link: Retrieved from
• Aiken, L.H., Sloane, D.M., Cimiotti, J.P., Clarke, S.P., Flynn, L., Seago, J.A., Spetz, J., & Smith, H. (2010, April 9). Implications of the California nurse staffing mandate for other states. Health Services Research. Retrieved from https://www.nursing.upenn.edu/chopr/Documents/Aiken.2010.CaliforniaStaffingRatios.pdf (CLICK on PDF file: CA STAFFING MANDATE)
4) WRITE a two (2) page paper (minimum 500 words) using the two (2) articles above (Abood and Aiken et al.) as references
a) Review the article by Abood (see above). Also recommended: Chapter 12: The nurse as political advocate. In K.K. Blais & J.S. Hayes (2015). Professional nursing practice: Concepts and perspectives (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
b) Read the results of the research paper (Aiken et al.) on staffing ratios. You have decided that you want your state legislature to pass similar legislation on mandated nurse-patient ratios.
c) Using the above two (2) article(s), develop a plan for influencing votes of legislators on nurse-patient ratios. Limit your submission to two (2) pages. You MUST include the following:
Advocacy and Nurse-Patient Ratios
1. PAGE 1: HEADING: My Personal/Professional Strategies to Increase My Power (Level 1) ONE PAGE ONLY
• Using the Abood article as a basis, describe the strategies and/or the “power(s)” YOU would use professionally and or personally as a nurse to persuade that a busy legislator. Use “I
would/will…” terminology,” NOT “the nurse/nurses” or “you” terminology (referring to the reader).
• How would you prepare YOURSELF, i.e., more education, organization memberships, etc.? Be specific.
• How would YOU involve other nurses and potential patients (the public) in your strategies. i.e. petitions, meetings, etc.? Be specific.
2. PAGE 2: HEADING: Legislator Information Sheet (Level 1)
ONE PAGE ONLY–BULLET POINTS ( ● ) information sheet. Using the Aiken article, compose a one (1) page legislator information sheet on nurse-patient ratios (see Aiken et al.) for a busy state legislator who will only have time to read bullet points:
• Bullet points ( ● ) are brief, pertinent, accurate, research-and/or data based statements that emphasize the advantages to his/her constituents (patients). Summarize and paraphrase. Be convincing! Citations are required for each of the bullet points. No more than one (1) page. NOTE: Bullet points can be easily inserted into a document using MS WORD.
• INCLUDE AN INTRODUCTION: To provide context for the legislator, include a short (1-2 sentences) introductory statement at the top of page 2 to the legislator which explains the reason for the bullet points.
• FOCUS ON PATIENTS/FAMILIES: Compose nurse-patient ratio statements that focus on advantages to patients/families, not nurses. An example: Higher nurse-patient ratios increase nurse burnout. Nurse burnout results in higher attrition and less job satisfaction which impacts the continuity and quality of patient care.
• APA FORMAT CITATIONS NOTE: Many other research studies are cited in the Aiken et al. article. If you cite these other research studies, they are considered secondary sources (See APA Manual, p. 178, 6.17). For example, the following is an example of a bullet point with a citation from a secondary source:
Patients diagnosed with acute myocardial infarction had a lower mortality rate as the number of registered nurse hours per patient day increased (Sochalski et al. [as cited in Aiken et al., 2010]).
Aiken at al. is then used as the source on the reference list.
e) See the Nursing Student Writing Guidelines Checklist for APA formatting. Fifteen (15) points will be deducted for incorrect citations and/or references.
f) EVALUATION: Paper: Advocacy & Nurse-Patient Ratios (500 words min) Critical Thinking Skills/Content Development/Organization/References (60%): Introduction; Bullet-Points Format/Computer Technology Skills (40%)
Place your order now for a similar paper and have exceptional work written by our team of experts to guarantee you A Results
Why Choose US
6+ years experience on custom writing
80% Return Client
Urgent 2 Hrs Delivery
Your Privacy Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Revisions